Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Old Papers

I just found all these old papers
Shoved under my night-table
Folded up in piles with ragged ends
I tried to read them
Wonder where they would end
Guess sometimes we become
Something we never saw coming
I see it in his eyes
My past just breaks his heart
I try to hold it in
Maybe I can just become something better
But on top of all these diamonds
Theres a pile of dirt
I just dug my way
Out of the hole college left me in
It was my emerald city
And I'm not ashamed anymore
I guess I hurt some people alot
I guess I did some stuff wrong
Those pictures sanded me down
To something a bit shiny now
I hide them all in boxes
But sometimes they make me proud
I listened to my old cds today
"C'mon take a step towards me,
so you can figure me out,"
Those words echo some in me now
I just want to hold on
I want to be better, stronger, so new
But I don't want to let go
Of the girl on the bottom bunk of my dorm
She still looks beautiful to me now
I don't care what all these smalltown girls
Did to your heart while I was gone
I know I never had the best record
But I'm new now, so damn brand new
I just miss my old roommate's voice sometimes
And the way a hookah's smoke tasted on my tongue
I just miss the Arch, beckoning me
Like a light from God
I know it sounds silly
Holding on to the broken promises of a Classic City
But all my broken hearts
Made me better today
If you'll be my star
I'll be your sky
I promise, I won't let you feel empty anymore
You won't be dark with me
I found all these old papers
Words in aged ink
I don't know what they mean anymore
I don't know how they sing

No comments: